One of the biggest misconceptions about lawn care is that simply mowing and watering the grass will lead to a full, luscious yard. While mowing and watering are certainly important to maintain your lawn, if you’re looking to enhance the health and vitality of your yard, then lawn care services in Calgary are what you’re looking for.
Let’s break down the difference between lawn maintenance and lawn care and what each involves.
What is lawn maintenance?
Regular lawn maintenance is important for keeping your yard clean, beautiful, and inviting. It includes:
- Lawn mowing
- Edge driveways and walkways
- Pruning shrubs and trees
- General cleaning
- Spring and fall cleanup
Although lawn maintenance and lawn care work together to achieve a beautiful yard, they are different things.
What is lawn care?
Simply put, proper lawn care services improve the overall health of your soil and lawn. It includes services such as:
- Season-long fertilizer – Promotes new leaf and root growth, achieving a thick and healthy-looking lawn.
- Season-long weed control – Weeds are unsightly and, if left unchecked, may compete with grass for nutrients, water, and soil, restricting growth. Proper weed control is essential for a thriving lawn.
- Deep core aeration – Aeration involves perforating the soil with small holes to allow nutrients, water, and air into the roots. This process reduces soil compaction and allows your lawn to ‘breathe’.
- Custom overseeding – Ideal for lawns with brown grass and patchy spots. Overseeding spreads grass seed on top of existing turf to improve the lawn’s density and colour.
- Power rake/dethatching – The process of removing dead grass and excess thatch and grooming the lawn with a high cut. This is typically done in the spring to prep the lawn for the upcoming growing season.
- Soil conditioner – Used to break up compacted soil and improve soil structure, which increases nutrients and water holding capacity.
Each lawn care service package includes different things and the extend of it depends on what your lawn needs. Many homeowners hire professional lawn care services to keep a healthy and thriving turf all year round.